I suggest you ...

Collapse folders as the default view

If you have many folders, it can be very tedious to browse with all of them expanded

63 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminThe Old Reader (Admin, The Old Reader) responded  · 

We have added shift+c/e shortcuts to collapse/expand folders. Also we are automatically collapsing folders by default on mobile resolutions.
    Please note that folder state remains saved per-browser.

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

This needs to fixed on all resolutions and browsers. Every time I log in I have to hit shift+c. Why would I pay for premium if even this simple thing won't or can't be fixed?

• jinkots commented  · 

Yes, pleeeeaase, create an option for collapse folders as a default view!

• Anonymous commented  · 

I vote for collapsed folders as the default view at login or at least a menu option to let the used decide.

• Ed commented  · 

Yet another vote for having the option of all folders collapsed as the default view.

thanks

• Brandon Speaks commented  · 

Another vote for this feature. A quick collapse all button would be amazing! Thanks.

• Chris Swenson commented  · 

The folder setting should remain how the user left it, collapsed or not based on the user's behavior.

• Travis Whitney commented  · 

I agree that it should be a folder level option.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I also miss having this feature, and it's annoying having to go down closing them all before I choose where to start today.
        (Another ex-google-reader-user).

• Christian Syska commented  · 

Best solution would be to make it a per folder setting. With Google Reader, I have some folders always collapsed where I only click on the folder name anyway, and some always open where I'd like to pick specific feeds to read.

In a perfect world, it would even be possible to configure this differently for viewing from a PC or from a phone/tablet.

• Jere commented  · 

+3 - This is one of the only things I dislike about The Old Reader. I've got hundreds of feeds, and I keep them organized in folders. I never click on the individual feeds, just the folders.

• Donald Hayward commented  · 

+3 Leaving the collapse state to how the user previously left it. This is by far the most annoying thing about The Old Reader I've found yet... mostly because I have a hundred or so feeds. >_<

• Anon commented  · 

Yes, the best thing to do would be to leave the folders expanded/collapsed as the user last left them

• Dagonet commented  · 

Or even better, add the option in the settings to do change the default to either.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Yes, definitely needed. It's a pain to collapse dozens of folders everytime I want to check in my feeds. Better that collpased would be for them to be expanded/collapsed as we left them.

Feedback and Knowledge Base